LESSON 1: UNDERSTANDING SERVANT LEADERSHIP
Servant Leadership is a philosophy where leaders prioritize serving the needs of their team members and the community. Everyone leads! Whether at work with your team or at home with your family, there is an opportunity for servant leadership.
Deliverable: Please read this article about Servant Leadership and answer the following reflection questions:
- What are the core components of servant leadership and how do they resonate with your personal values?
- How does servant leadership differ from traditional leadership?
- Reflect on your own leadership experiences. Can you think of instances where you’ve encountered servant leadership, either as a leader or as a team member?
- How does trust impact the dynamics of a team and what steps can leaders take to build trust among team members?
- Consider the practical applications of servant leadership mentioned in the article, such as active listening, empathy, and focusing on the needs of others. How can you implement these practices in your leadership approach?
LESSON 2: DEVELOPING SERVANT LEADERSHIP SKILLS
Deliverable 1: Complete the following reflection questions:
- What are the seven steps to becoming a servant leader?
- Reflect on the core principles of servant leadership like empathy, humility, and a focus on serving others. How can you incorporate these characteristics into your leadership style?
Think about your current leadership roles [at home or at work]. Are there instances where you’ve successfully demonstrated servant leadership qualities? What were the impacts?
Deliverable 2: Complete one or more of the following exercises for developing servant leadership qualities and reflect on it in your workbook:
Random Acts of Kindness: Set a goal to perform one small act of kindness each day, either at home or in your workplace. It could be as simple as offering help, expressing gratitude, or offering words of encouragement
Share Knowledge: Offer to mentor a teammate or share your expertise with a family member in an area where you have experience. This helps others to grow and develop their skills.
Celebrate Achievements: Acknowledge and celebrate the accomplishment of a teammate or family member. Give specific recognition for their contributions and efforts.
Team Decision-Making: Involve your team or family members in making a decision. Encourage them to share their insights and participate in discussions about important matters
LESSON 3: IMPACTS AND CHALLENGES OF SERVANT LEADERSHIP
Review the following challenges of servant leadership:
- Resistance to change- Some team members or colleagues may resist the shift to a servant leadership style, as it may challenge traditional hierarchy in the workplace.
- Time constraints- Practicing servant leadership can be time consuming as it involves active listening, mentoring, and supporting team members, which may strain your schedule.
- Balancing empowerment- While servant leaders empower team members, it can be challenging to strike a balance between empowerment and ensuring tasks are completed effectively.
- Self-doubt- Servant leaders may experience self-doubt, questioning whether they are making a genuine impact or if their efforts are appreciated.
Review the following impacts of servant leadership:
- Higher engagement- Servant leadership fosters a sense of belonging and purpose
- Improved trust- Trust is a cornerstone of servant leadership. Building trust leads to more open communication, collaboration, and loyalty
- Enhanced performance- People excel when they feel valued and supported
- Personal growth- Practicing servant leadership can lead to personal growth, enhancing one’s communication, empathy, and leadership skills.
- Positive culture- The impact of servant leadership can extend to an entire organization or family, promoting a culture of service, empathy and collaboration
- Conflict resolution- Servant leaders often excel at conflict resolution, creating a harmonious environment where conflicts are addressed positively
Deliverable: Answer the following reflection questions:
- Describe a situation where you had to balance empowering coworkers or family members with ensuring a task or tasks were completed effectively. How did you strike that balance and what was the outcome?
- Have you ever questioned your impact or felt unappreciated as a servant leader? How did you overcome self-doubt and continue to lead with a servant’s heart?
- How can practicing servant leadership influence your personal growth and development? How can you improve your communication, empathy and other leadership skills?