LESSON 1: CULTIVATING INTRINSIC MOTIVATION
Understanding Intrinsic Motivation
- Intrinsic motivation comes from within and is driven by personal values, passions, and a genuine desire for change.
- It’s about setting goals that align with your authentic self, rather than external pressures or expectations.
Identifying Personal Goals and Values
- Begin by identifying your personal values and what matters most to you. This helps set the foundation for meaningful goals.
- Reflect on your long-term aspirations and consider what steps you can take to move closer to them.
- Self-efficacy is the belief in your ability to achieve your goals. Cultivate this belief by setting achievable milestones and celebrating small victories.
- Surround yourself with positive role models and inspirational stories of individuals who have overcome adversity.
Self-Compassion and Resilience
- Self-compassion involves treating yourself with kindness and understanding, especially when facing setbacks or challenges.
- Develop resilience by acknowledging that setbacks are a natural part of any journey and learning to bounce back from them.
- What intrinsic motivations drive your desire for change and personal growth?
- How can self-compassion and resilience help you face challenges and setbacks?
- How do your personal values align with the goals you’ve set for yourself?
- Create a vision board or personal goal collage to visualize your aspirations
- Commit to a practice of daily self-affirmations to reinforce your self-efficacy
LESSON 2: OVERCOMING OBSTACLES AND BUILDING RESILIENCE
Recognizing Common Challenges
- Identify potential challenges you may face, such as finding stable housing and rebuilding relationships; prioritize these challenges based on their significance
- Develop a clear plan for each challenge, breaking down the steps needed to overcome them. Seek guidance from mentors and peers.
Building a Support Network
- Look for local support groups and clubs to connect with individuals who have similar experiences and can offer support and guidance
- Seek out a mentor or counselor who can provide personalized guidance
- Engage in open and honest conversations with the members of your support network [friends, family, mentors] to share your experiences and goals and seek advice
Embracing Change and Adaptability
- Recognize that change is inevitable, embrace it as an opportunity for personal growth. Explore new experiences and opportunities to adapt to a transformed environment
Stress Management Techniques
- Practice stress-reduction techniques, such as deep breathing exercises, meditation, or physical activities like yoga or walking
- Create a daily routine that includes time for relaxation and self-care
- Reach out to your support network in challenging times
- What specific challenges do you anticipate encountering during your reentry process, and what steps can you take to address them effectively?
- What qualities are you looking for in a mentor? How do you plan to establish a meaningful connection with them?
- How can you actively embrace and adapt to the changes in your life during the reintegration process?
- What signs of stress will you be mindful of, and how will you proactively manage stress to maintain your emotional well-being?
- Find a quiet, comfortable space where you won’t be interrupted; close your eyes and take a few deep breaths to relax
- Imagine a challenging situation currently in your life; visualize overcoming it with resilience, determination and grace. How will you apply each of these? Picture the positive outcomes
- Write down your visualization in your journal, focusing on the emotions and strengths you felt
What is Resilience? Characteristics and Examples
Resilience: Build Skills to Endure Hardship